Interesting Facts about Sunglasses
Here are some of the most fascinating facts about sunglasses.
- There has been a lot of debate as to whether or not it is acceptable to have one’s eyebrows showing while wearing sunglasses. Some believe it is okay, but others consider it a fashion crime. No conclusion has been made about this.
- Sunglasses date back to the 12th century, and they are credited to the Chinese who mainly wore them to hide their facial expressions during court cases and for the purpose of protecting their eyes.
- Polaroid glasses that are capable of minimizing exposure to UV rays were invented in the year 1936. Before this, sunglasses would only reduce the light from the sun.
- An Italian company by the name Luxottica produces 70% of the word’s sunglasses. The company is famous for brands like Oakley and Ray-Ban.
- Emperor Nero of Rome is said to have watched gladiator fights through polished emeralds.
- Elton John’s love for wacky glasses was the inspiration behind the song Glasses.
- There is no significant difference between cheap and expensive sunglasses. The only difference is that expensive ones incorporate additional technologies for UV protection.
- eBay sold the most expensive sunglasses for $250,000.
- Americans are reported to break a pair of sunglasses every 14 minutes.
- Most people believe wearing sunglasses makes them look cool.
There you have it; ten amazing facts about sunglasses that will give you something to think about the next time you wear yours.